Thursday, November 10, 2011

Rain, rain, go away-- for now, at least.

If there's anything I openly despise (besides mathematics of any kind), it's rain. Especially rain falling on my head.

Anyone who's walked through it with me can tell you that I huddle under my umbrella, I splosh through puddles in rainboots, I always have a raincoat buttoned up to my chin. I really, really hate rain.

Bostonians, however, have no such aversion. People on my campus don't use umbrellas or raincoats-- in fact, it's not unusual to see hordes of people walking around in flip flops. I never understood how they managed, so imagine my complete dismay at suddenly being forced to become one of them today after my second class.

Rule #1 of New England is to always check the weather in the morning. But seeing as I stayed up until 2 last night to play pool with my roommate and her friends, checking anything other than the charge on my laptop this morning was not going to happen. Ok, I knew it was going to rain today regardless; the 5 day weather forecast said so. But somehow that detail managed to escape my attention, and now I find myself in wet Keds (now a lovely shade of grey around the toes), a thin trench coat that is almost soaked through, and dots of water on my glasses.

On the one hand, this is all very Bostonian of me. On the other hand, I despise rain. I'm getting used to it, but right now I'm staring out the window of my classroom at the sheets of cold sliminess falling outside and shudder to think that in two hours, I'll have to go face it--unless, of course, it stops raining, in which case I will be rather happy.

In other news, the doom and gloom is back in town, and THAT I can handle. Gloomy weather is great weather for reading Louisa May Alcott thrillers-- if I had the time for them. Newspaper articles and general goings on about campus are keeping me busy, not to mention the fact that my dorm room gets messy all too quickly and needs a good pick-up every single day.

Speaking of cleaning, will a bleach pen work on Keds?

No comments:

Post a Comment